Tuesday 3 May 2016

The idea of a perfect happy birthday

I don't know how to react on my birthday.

I am not a fancy person.  I never planned anything extravagant on my birthday, had a grand party or bought an expensive gift.  Mostly because I could not afford it.  And I never liked to rob my father's money for my pleasure.  I have been a good kid.

I believe that all days are alike and we should try to make every one of them special.  So why put extra emphasis on birthdays?  But much before the day comes,  I have an expectation in my heart that something special should happen on the day.  Someone must take initiative to make it special.  I expect phone calls and long messages wishing me well.  And recently on my 23rd birthday,  I realised that how more people come to know me every year but lesser people wish me on time anyway.  It is different that you wish someone via a phone call or even a message at 12 sharp and you post a half hearted 'hbd''  on their Facebook wall when Zuckerberg instructs you to do so.

I have to digest the fact that my friends are moving along in their lives  and are involved in activities,  work,  career,  family life and such  things.  It is possible to forget that the new date that has just come once held some significance in their life.

The thing is about expectations.  My parents would never forget my birthday.  My sister would want to try her best  to make it special.  A few friends would always wish me,  even if they do it later,  it would be from their hearts.  But I would not be grateful for that.

I would not accept the fact that people do not call anymore on birthdays.  WhatsApp has changed the tradition.  It is the emozies that are the perfect substitutes to express our heartfelt feelings for somebody.

I would not accept  the fact that I can never have as happy a birthday as I used to have till the number of candles on the cake were in single digits. Maybe birthdays are for children.. Because it is only children that can be contented on birthdays. They would not want everyone on their contact list to wish them to start with. They would enjoy the little toys they receive.  They would enjoy plying with balloons,  eating cake and chocolates.  They would enjoy running,  playing,  dancing, anything,  everything,

My idea for a perfect birthday would be pleasant weather and no mosquitoes..  But that is not in one 's hand.  On my 23rd birthday,  my internal examinations began.  I had to attend college. Again something not in my hands.  My idea of a perfect birthday would be to spend the day hanging out with people I feel comfortable with (termed as 'friends'  in common usage) ,  doing random stuff,  chatting,  maybe singing and dancing,  or anything fun that comes naturally to anyone. I would like to have one meal of the day with my family as I know they are the ones who would unconditionally stand there for me when i am in need.  And maybe when I sleep at the night,  I should have a smile of contentment,  feeling gratitude for the company I had.  That would be the last piece.

Do you have happy birthdays?  What is your idea of a perfect  happy birthday?



4 comments:

  1. Liked d way u have expressed about ur idea of a perfect b'day..☺☺ let good thoughts keep flowing in... My idea of perfect b'day wud be enjoying my friends' company in a nice cafe eating my fav food..���� since m a foodie ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cafe food is expensive and not fulfilling. :D But yes a good place to have conversations. And you cannot be a complete foodie if you do not like talking about it. :P
      And hey, thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Cafe Food is definitely fulfilling dear if u choose the right place and right dish... :P anyway we will have discussions about food after exams :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can have a discussion having cafe food that you order for both of us. :D

    ReplyDelete